Welcome to the Hillman Wizard site
This site contains information about Hillman Wizards and the whereabouts of some of those that remain. Please contact us if you have information to contribute, or if you can identify another we can add to the collection.
Hillman is a British automobile marque created by the Hillman Motor Car Company, founded in 1907. The company was based in Ryton-on-Dunsmore, near Coventry, England. Before 1907 the company had built bicycles. Although the Hillman company was acquired by Humber in 1929, Hillman was used as the primary marque of the Rootes Group from 1931, following its acquisition of Humber, until 1967, when Chrysler in turn took over Rootes. The marque continued to be used under Chrysler until 1976.
The first cars were large, featuring a 9.76-litre 6-cylinder engine or a 6.4-litre four. A smaller car, the 9 hp of 1913 with a 1357 cc side-valve four-cylinder, was the first to sell in significant numbers and was re-introduced after the First World War as the 11 hp, having grown to 1600 cc. The big seller was the 14 hp introduced in 1925, and the only model made until 1928. Following the fashion of the time a Straight Eight of 2.6 litres and Hillman’s first use of overhead valves came in 1928 but soon gained a reputation for big end problems.
The 1930s saw a return to side valves with first the 2.1-litre (later 2.6-litre) 6-cylinder Wizard in 1931 and in 1932 the first car to carry the Minx name. This had a 1185 cc four-cylinder and went through a series of updates in body style and construction until the end of the Second World War. In 1934 the Wizard was replaced by the 20/70, which lasted until 1936 when the Hawk with a 2576 cc (later 3181 cc) side-valve straight six was introduced. This car was later rebodied and sold as a Humber.
After the war the Minx was reintroduced with the same 1185 cc engine. It went through a series of models given Phase numbers and the Phase VIII of 1954 saw the arrival of an overhead-valve engine. The de-luxe version of this model was called the “Gay” model, showing how the meaning of words can change, and led to the advertising slogan “Go gay, go Hillman”. A smaller car, the Husky with van like body and using the old side-valve engine, was also new for 1954. The floor pan of this model was later to form the basis for the Sunbeam Alpine, Sunbeam also being part of the Rootes empire. A complete departure in 1963 was the Hillman Imp using a Coventry Climax all alloy, 875 cc rear engine and built in a brand new factory in Linwood, Scotland. The location was chosen under government influence to bring employment to a depressed area. A fastback version, the Californian, and an estate re-using the Husky name were also made. A new car called the Hunter was introduced in 1966 with, in 1967, a smaller-engined standard version using the old Minx name. These are frequently given their factory code of “Arrow”, but this name was never officially used in marketing.
Hillman’s Ryton factory closed in January 2007 assembling various Peugeot models for the European market.
The French company still owns the rights to the Hillman name.